Servings: 4-6 – Estimated Calories: 350-400 calories per serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped kale or spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add carrots, celery, and zucchini to the pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes with their juice, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 25-30 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Stir in the chopped kale or spinach and cook for an additional 5 minutes until wilted.
- Finish the stew with a squeeze of lemon juice and serve.
This Vegan Lentil and Vegetable Stew is rich in iron, fiber, and protein from lentils, and contains a variety of vegetables that provide vitamins and minerals essential for brain function.