Servings: 4 – Estimated Calories: 300-350 calories per serving
Herring is a nutrient-dense fish that provides significant benefits for brain health. It is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have been linked to improved cognitive function, reduced inflammation, and a lower risk of cognitive decline. Herring is also high in vitamin B12, which is essential for maintaining a healthy nervous system and supporting brain function.
- 4 slices of whole-grain bread
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (6-ounce) can herring fillets in oil, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Fresh dill sprigs for garnish
- Toast the whole-grain bread slices until golden brown and crispy.
- In a small bowl, combine the mashed avocado and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the mashed avocado mixture evenly onto each slice of toasted bread.
- Top the avocado layer with flaked herring, sliced cucumber, and red onion.
- Garnish each toast with fresh dill sprigs and serve immediately.